How much does a 1 Acre Hydroponic Farm cost in India?

I will start with a cross-question. How much does a car cost in India?

The answer, it depends.

It depends upon what all you want to be in the car, who makes it, what technology it uses, what fuel it runs on, what is the quality of spare parts that go into it, how fast it accelerates, how much power it packs under the hood, and many other factors like that. There can be price differentials of more than 3x to 5x across models providing similar utility.

Any of these can take you from point A to B, but at different price points

When one goes for Hydroponics Farming at a commercial scale, there are a few components of cost that will remain fixed while there are others, that will vary depending upon the choice of tech and set-up.

In today’s post, we will briefly analyze the important components and try to arrive at a ballpark estimate for setting up a Commercial Hydroponic farm in India. We will divide this post into two parts. In the first part, we will cover the Outer Structure.

The Fixed Cost – The Outer Shell:

Before one even begins to set up the technology inside, the first cost that a commercial grower will encounter will be towards setting up the outer structure. Within the outer structure, there will be different choices with different cost implications.

The scope of this article does not cover in-depth detailing of these choices, still, for a layman’s benefit, let’s examine the two parameters that impact the cost quickly.

Choice of Design:

Flat Roof Structure
This structure is usually used for a Net House. This costs low and allows for good air circulation (since the covering net allows air to pass through). However, because of the net-based structure, it does not provide protection against rain. Also because of the flat roof, debris (or let’s say snow during hail storm) will accumulate on the roof and may damage the structure. Aerodynamically, it cannot withstand heavy winds.

Flat roof shade net house

This shape is suggested for areas which receive low rainfall, no hailstorm, and wind speeds of less than 100 km/ph.

Within the flat roof structure, one can go for pipe purlin (roof made out of GI pipes, just like the sides) or Cable purlin (roof made out of GI cables, sides out of GI pipes).

Round/Dome Shaped Structure
This structure has a curved top design which helps in air circulation, the collection of rainwater, and also sliding of debris or hail storm. This structure is costlier than the flat roof structure and is usually covered using polycarbonate or other such non-permeable sheets.

Round Roof Greenhouse. Image Credits – WikiMedia

Choice of Outer Covering:

Shade Net
This is the cheapest option. As the name suggests, it is primarily used to provide shade to the plants to protect them from the harsh sun. It comes in different qualities, different colors, and different shade factors like 25%, 50%, 75% etc.

A good quality, UV stabilized, HDPE shade net should last for at least 3 years. This, however, will not provide any protection against rain or insects. It provides limited protection from wind and can tolerate heavy winds as it allows most of the pressure to pass through. Also, since it allows for relatively free movement of wind, the temperature inside and outside a shade net house do not differ much (unlike in a polyhouse where inside temperature is much higher than outside). This provides a good and cheaper alternative in tropical and warm regions.

Insect Net
An insect net costs almost 70% more than a shade net. It has tiny holes that do not allow insects to pass through. A good quality insect net will be UV stabilized, made of HDPE monofilament fiber to a size of 40/50 mesh.

One usual set of choice adopted by many a nursery owners and net house structures is to use insect net on the sides and shade net on the top. This helps in keeping costs low and keeping most of the insects out and also good temperature regulation owing to natural ventilation of warm air through the shade net at the top. However, insects can still come in through the shade net at the top surface.

CityGreen’s Urban Gardening Research Center – Notice that the top layer has a covering of insect net + shade net

Another choice, though a little costly, but better for pest control, is to cover all sides and top with an insect net, and then place the second layer of shade net on top of the insect net on the roof. This is the design choice we adopted while creating CityGreen’s Urban Gardening Research Centre at our office in Bangalore. One disadvantage of this design (in warm climates) is relatively higher temperature inside the structure. Thnecessitatestes use of foggers to bring the temperature down. The foggers also provide an ancillary benefit of increasing the humidity in the arid and warm climate which helps the plants grow quicker and healthier.

Plastic-based Materials
Poly Ethylene or PolyCarbonate or PVC or other plastic-based coverings are the material of choice while creating a climate controlled greenhouse. Because of the plastic covering used, they are generally referred to as poly houses.

A poly-house is the structure of choice in climatic zones that experience varied weather conditions like extreme hot or cold or rains or hail storm etc. Within the poly-house, one can go for temperature control through natural ventilation and exhaust fans or through a slightly costlier cooling pad and fan system.

There are few other choices of structures and covering material too like A-frame, rigid frame, glass etc. but we will not cover them as cost-benefit wise, they are not as reliable on a commercial scale as the ones covered above.

Coming to cost for these structures, following are the ballpark estimates for setting up 1 acre of GreenHouse at current prevailing market rates.

• Flat Roof Shade Net with Cable purlin (Wire Rope Net House) – 8 to 10 L
  • Flat Roof Shade Net with Pipe Purlin – (Shade Net House) – 12 to 15 L
  • Dome-shaped Poly house (naturally ventilated Poly House) – 25 to 30 L
  • Dome-shaped Poly house with fan and pad cooling system (Climate Controlled Poly House) – 45 to 50 L

Do note that the above prices are for an acre, the lower the area, the higher will be the cost per sq M and vice versa. This is because the larger area will allow for amortization of fixed costs, like that of labor and installation over a larger area, bringing the cost per sq M down.

Coming back to our analogy of the car, now that you have a fair idea of cost for outer structure, you need to select the car that will suit your requirements. Do you just need to go from point A to B in city traffic or will you mostly be doing off-roading? Are you ok with an open jeep or do you need a state of art dual climate control system?

It is important that you make all those decisions to arrive at the optimal choice of outer structure that fits your specific needs. And depending upon your needs and business plan, a one-acre structure can set you off anywhere between 10 L to 50 L. That is the first investment that you will need for setting up a 1 Acre  Hydroponic farm.

In the next part of this article, we try to explore the cost of setting up an NFT Hydroponic system inside the farm.

Hope this article will help you in gaining some clarity and business decision making. All the best your plans, and

HappyFarming!

Gaurav is an entrepreneur whose first Start-up was focused on providing services to patients suffering from Chronic Diseases. While researching about the causes of lifestyle diseases and the ways to reduce their incidence, he chanced upon the idea of growing healthy and nutritious food using advanced farming techniques.

He founded CityGreens with a mission to enable City Dwellers to access Safe, Healthy and Fresh food.

79 thoughts on “How much does a 1 Acre Hydroponic Farm cost in India?

• Suresh Samuel says:

Can you set up a 10000 SFT hydrophonic system for growing cucumber in Chennai. Thanks, Samuel

Hi Mr Samuel

Will share details with you on email.

• Shreyans says:

Hi,
    Would like to setup a half acre farm around mumbai

• Venkatraman Kumar says:

I am planning to set up a lettuce farm in Chennai on 11000 sqft land. Can you please help me.

Hello Mr Kumar,

Sure.. will revert to you on email with the possibilities.

• vishwa says:

I have a plan to set up a half acre farm nearby Bangalore. Please help us.

Hi Mr Vishwa.
      Will correspond with you vis email regarding your query.

8310312660

• rajiv says:

I want to know do you provide training for vertical farming(hydroponics). Please share details.
    and how much minimum space is required for profitable business.

Hi Rajiv,

Yes, we do provide training.
      Will share all the details with you on your email id.

Thanks for writing in.
      Regards,

• Ankush says:

I m interested in starting vertical farming. If you provide training on vertical farming kindly provide details.

• Theja says:

Hello Ankush
          We have two training modules. Beginner’s Module and Advanced Module.
          You can fill the following registration form, to know the necessary details.
          Form – Training Registration

Thanks & Regards
          CityGreens
          8310312660

• Srinvas says:

do you provide training for hydroponics farming.

Hello Mr Srinivas,
          Thanks for writing in!
          We do provide training in hydroponic Farming.
          Will be sharing the details of the same on your email id.

8310312660

• Pankaj says:

I am planning to set up a strawberry farm in satara on 16000 sqft land. Can you please help me about cost in pollyhouse, Hydroponics pollyhouse.

Hello Mr Pankaj,

Thanks for writing in.
      Will connect with you on email to share the available details and understand your requirements.

• DWARAKA RAMANA K says:

I am interested in Hydroponics. Please let me know how to setup and what are all required. What are the cost dynamics . Do we have a template for various cost for estimate. Any help is really great.
    my mail id is ramanadk@gmail.com
    Thanks
    ramana

Hi Ramana,

Thanks for writing in.
      Yes, we can definitely help you. We do have a costing estimate and other details that we can share with you on email.

8310312660

• kevin kapadiya says:

i am planning to set up a commercial farm in surat,gujarat. can you help me with the set up cost and what i needed to set up half acre farm?

• Theja says:

Hi Kevin

Thanks for writing in.
      Sure we can help you with that.
      Please provide your contact number to assist you further.

Team CityGreens

• Akhil says:

I want to set up a hydrophonic system of 1 acre in Bangalore . Can you please help me with the the input cost and training on it.

• Theja says:

Hi Akhil

Thanks for writing in.
      Input cost depends on the crops we grow, level of automation, climatic conditions etc.
      please feel free to call us on 8310312660 or do share your number,to know your requirements which helps us to provide you better assistance.

Team CityGreens

• Manju says:

Hi I am manju I wanna to know hydroponic fodder system manual cost and how much yield does it give daily what are the best companys to provide manual installations

• Jailani says:

Dear I am new to know about hydroponic system. Please give me a complete information about this.

How much it will cost? If my budget is 20000 to 30000 is this amount enough ?

• santosh awade says:

• Theja says:

Hello Santosh

If you are a beginner in hydroponics we suggest you to attend training, which helps you understand things clearly.
      And cost depends on factors like level of automation, region of setup, crops etc. So we provide a customized detail project report depending on the requirement.
      Please reach us on 8310312660, so that we could assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
      Team CityGreens
      8310312660

• Anonymous says:

Hi ,
    I am Sridhar ,I want to install hydroponics in my empty 500 sq foot area , with optimum cost , including stand set, trays,sprayers,net,minerals,water tank,motor wat will be the cost
    8884115371

• Theja says:

Hello Sridhar
      Thanks for writing in.
      There are two articles 1.cost dynamics of setting roof top kitchen garden Part1
      2.cost dynamics of maintaining rooftop kitchen garden part 2 which helps you understand the costs involved in setting up a kitchen garden. Hope this helps you. Please feel free to call us for any further queries.

Team CityGreens
      8310312660

• Anonymous says:

Hello Sir,

I went through the link ,I got some knowledge which says without soil I can do commercial farming ,but I want to know the cost for 500 sq foot area including net,trays,pipe structures ,minerals, as presently I am cultivating through soil but my water requirement could not match with it.
        Sridhar
        9538646483

• Theja says:

Hi Sridhar

The cost varies depending on the structure you choose among available alternatives.
          It would approximately cost you about Rs.225 to Rs.275 per square foot area.
          You can call us on 8310312660 for any of your queries.

Thanks & Regards
          Team CityGreens

• DARSHAN says:

I want to install in 1acer. please contact me.. my email address is… din06006@rediffmail.com

Hi Mr Darhsan,

We will be more than happy to help you.
        Will share the details with you.
        Alternately pls feel free to call us on 8310312660 to assist you better.

Nidhi George
        8310312660

• kushan h k says:

Hi,
    My intention is to start a startup on the bases of agriculture, i don’t have land ,so i think best way is hydroponics or aquaponics , so can u guide me haw to start it. and sir i dont have money to do startup

Hello Mr kushan,

Thanks for writing in.

We will be more than happy to assist you.
      Pls share your contact number for us to reach you.

Nidhi
      8310312660

• Harish says:

Hai I want to know the details and implementation of hydroponic farming in 2 acre and cost of structure.

Hi Harish,
      Thanks for writing in.

Will share the details of the same with you on your email id.

Hello Mr Hairsh,

Thanks for writing in!
      Will share the details as required on your email id.

8310312660

• Swaraj says:

I want to setup hydroponics for commercial production on an area measuring around 66000 sq feet.i want to start with 10000 sq feet at first and know what is the COGS?

Hi Mr Swaraj,

Thanks for writing in!
      Do connect with us on 8310312660 to enable us to assist your further.

• Dharmavarapu Rama Lingeswara Sarma says:

Hi,
    I am new to know about Hydroponic system. I went through the link, I got some knowledge which says without soil. I am interested in Hydroponics. Please let me know how to setup and what are all required. What are the cost dynamics . Do we have a template for various cost for estimate. Please give me a complete information about this. I can do commercial farming, but I want to know the cost for 25000 sq foot area including net,trays,pipe structures ,minerals. As presently I am cultivating through soil but my water requirement could not match with it. How much it will cost? I have land 200 Ft x 125 Ft, so I think best way is hydroponics, so can you guide me how to start it and I don’t have money to do startup. I have a plan to set up a farm in the above said property nearly half acre farm near by Addanki, Prakasam District, Andhra Pradesh. Any help is really great. Please help us.

• Dharmavarapu Rama Lingeswara Sarma says:

Hi,

Hello Mr Rama,

Thanks so much for writing in.
        We will be surely happy to share with you all the information we have and enable you to set this up.
        Will connect with you on your email id.

• DRL SARMA says:

Thank you…We are waiting for your advice

• Nidhi George says:

Kindly share your contact number to connect with you

8310312660

Dear Mr Rama,
      Will be sharing the details with you on your email id.
      Please feel free to reach out to us on our number 8310312660

• LM says:

Hi,

I am looking to start farming with use of Hydroponics either near Pune or in Haryana/Punjab. Would like understand the cost, viability, various loan/subsidies offered by the government.

I don’t have a background in farming.

Regards,
    LM

Hi Lalit,

Thanks for writing in.
      I will share the indicative costing with you on your email id.
      Pls feel free to reach out to us in case of any further queries.

• vaibhav says:

I am Planning to set up Hydroponic farm in Rajasthan. Would like to understand the cost, viability, various loan/subsidies offered by the government.

Hi Vaibhav,

Agriculture is a state subject and different state governments may be following different schemes. We do not know of any Hydroponic specific subsidy being in place. However, since it will be done under a poly-house, you may be able to get subsidy towards protected cultivation under poly-house.

To figure out the state relevant schemes we would suggest you visit either an ICAR or IIHR center near to you.

• Dr Rahul Pradhan says:

I am interested to start production of exotic vagetables for business purpose by hydroponic system in Bhubaneswar.
    I’ve adequate land available.
    I would like to know about the feasibility, cost involved, training needed for setting up the same.

Hi Dr. Rahul,

We will reach out to you. Alternatively, you can connect with us through WHatsApp / Call at +91 831 031 2660

• vinal loren dsouza says:

Greetings, i am looking for the cost breakup for a 30000sft indoor hydroponics system with full automation, piping, services etc in bangalore. we are thinking of implementing as a part of our ongoing project in bangalore. Also i would like to know about the running costs i.e. electricity, automation costsm, labour, the return on investments etc. Kindly provide me with the breakup of the above details with your costs so that i can pitch it to my clients.

Hi Vinal,

costs will vary with a lot of components and choices that you will end up making for your set-up. As such it will be difficult to give a fixed cost. You can download a generic cost sheet from the download section in our website to give you a ballpark idea.

If you have a specific project in mind, you can reach out to us at +91 831 031 2660.

• vaishnavi says:

Hi!
    I’d like to set a farm for 9600sq.ft. your service is available in chennai?
    Kind regards
    Vaishanvi

Hi Vaishnavi,
      Thanks for writing in.
      Pls share your mobile number to enable us to reach you.

8310312660

• dileep says:

hi looking for aquaponics setup in one acre of land near bangalore.can u please help me with costing .

Hi Dileep,

We are currently not engaged in Aquaponics, so may not be able to help you with it. However, given that the major difference between aquaponics and hydroponics is how you manage the nutrients, the costing may not be very different.

You can download the indicative costing sheet from the download center on our website. Ballpark, a one-acre farm may cost anywhere between 90L to 125L at the going rates on turnkey basis.

• Teklal Mahato says:

Hi
    I have a house in 2000 sq ft plot . Total 6 rooms in ground floor and 1200 sq ft open terrace along with 1000 sq ft open area. Can I do hydrophonic farming here.
    This is in Pune .

• admin says:

We will connect with you shortly.

• Kishore Naidu says:

Hello Sir,

I am surprised to know the higher costs of vertical farming in India. My family is doing agriculture activities and we less ground water available in our village lands. So, I just want to start vertical or Hydroponic farming in my land. Could you please help me with possible causes that gives us better opportunities to help our village farming.

Hi Kishore,

yes, these techniques are indeed costly for farmers. For farmers in your village, instead of vertical structures, I would suggest going for DWC channels at ground level only. This will be cost effective and simpler to use with all the benefits that Hydroponics has to offer.

You can reach out to our team by writing to contactus@citygreens.in or through WhatsApp/Call at +91-8310312660

• shubham says:

Hi!
    Wanted to know the difference in cost setup of a greenhouse system and an LED system.
    also, which system is more reliable in terms of plant yield?

Hi Shubham,

assuming by LED system you mean an indoor LED growing system of vertical racks. The LED will cost substantially more but will require much lesser rea and be more reliable in terms of yields.

• MG says:

I’m interested in know more about hydroponic, do you provide training session.

• admin says:

Yes, we have two different kinds of training modules

1. a 1-day basic course in Bangalore on one of the Saturdays. This is conducted once every month.
      2. a 3-day advanced residential training program in our research farm in Ahmedabad. This is conducted once a quarter.

To know more or register, you have 3 options:-

1. Fill up the form here https://citygreens.in/form-training-registration/ and we will connect with you, or
      2. WhatsApp to us at +91 831 031 2660, or
      3. Send us an email at training@CityGreens.in

• Solaimalai Rajasekar S says:

Hi. I have a plan to set up the hydroponic farm in half an acre of land. Could you please provide some insight about the cost-effective method for initial setup, type of plants can be chosen and associated maintenance. Also would be interested to attend any of upcoming training session in Bangalore.

• admin says:

Please drop in your contact number at +91 831 031 2660 and our team will touch base with you.

• Tejeshwar Babra says:

need guidance to set up a 1 acre hydroponic farm near Delhi

Hi Tejeshwar,

We will write back to you. Alternatively, please drop in a line at +91 831 031 2660 for quick response.

• Jatin says:

Hello team,

I would like to inquire about poly house structure alongwith cost, my farm (1 Acre) is near Aurangabad, Maharashtra

Jatin

Hi Jatin,

Our team will connect back.

Thanks.

• AMIT LAHOTI says:

I am looking to setup a hydroponic farm in Hyderabad India (appr 30000 sq ft ) .Please let me know if you have any documents on anyinformation related to costing and suggestions on what to grow in that part of India … I am currently in USA and willing to return back and work full time on farm so wanted to understand the risk and profits . I will appreciate your help and inputs .

Hi Amit,

Someone from our team will write back to you soon. Alternatively you can WhatsApp is at +91 831 031 2660

• Pragnesh Patel says:

Hi,
    I am interested in starting vertical farming. If you provide training on vertical farming in Mumbai kindly provide details

• admin says:

Currently we are providing training in Bangalore and Ahmedabad. You can chew ok out the dates on our website.

• Arun says:

I ant to setup 13000 sq ft hydroponic system. I want to know which type of hydroponic system is best and effective to setup which can produce maximum production. What will be the cost for 13000sqft area hydroponic system setup. I am from west uttar pradesh. Here is many temperature variance like in summer is can up to 45 and in winter it can decrease up to 1 degree Celsius. Is it good to setup here.

Hi Arun,

Given the temperature range, we would suggest you go with a temperature controlled polyhouse.

You will be able to get production for most of the year if you do your crop selection and time it well. You may face difficulty during the months when mercury crosses 40 but with some investments and careful planning a few crops can still grow in that season.

For specific queries, we would suggest you to write to us at contactus@citygreens.in or WhatsApp at +91 831 031 2660

Got a Query? or Have something interesting to share that can help other urban farmers? Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.