A significant number of our customers approach us to understand the commercial viability of hydroponics and the reality in the Indian context. In this article, we would like to put forth to our readers, a few factors that can help decide commercial set-up viability.
A brief recap on hydroponics:
- Hydroponics makes use of water as a medium to enable growth of a plant.
- Hydroponics makes use of various methods to grow different kinds of plants, flowers, and vegetables.
- It supports plant growth scientifically through systematic nutrients delivery and monitoring.
- Temperature, Humidity, EC, pH, and TDS are all vital factors that need to be kept in its optimal range specific to each plant. These are vital growth indices of a plant. Yields are optimum if these indicative indices are monitored and maintained.
You can get in-depth information regarding this at the CG University
For commercial Hydroponics, you would first need to determine the market where the product would be sold. One cannot decide which crop to grow without this crucial step. Understanding your target market will determine the crop to be grown as well as other important parameters such as
- Input cost, Yield, and Returns
- Break Even
Often we have been approached by individuals who have land and /or the money but are totally unaware of what to grow and where to sell it. Ideally, studying the market is the first point that needs to be tackled.
- Crops generally give a better yield in Hydroponics. The world over there are enough setups that can prove commercial viability through hydroponics.
- Minimal and controlled use of resources – this is indeed a much-needed method for the current times.
- Unlike in soil grown techniques, there is almost no need for pesticides.
- A far superior quality of yield.
We must caution here, that you need to provide adequate effort and dedication. This is non-negotiable at the start of your project. While you could entirely outsource this activity, we recommend you take an active involvement in the set-up of your project. Once set-up, a lot of the processes can be automated thus ensuring that manual labour and support required is kept at its minimal.
Finally, Hydroponics is Simple and doable. And if you are here you should give it a try!
Sometimes you choose your profession. Sometimes God chooses your profession for you. For me it was the latter – The quest to find purpose and expression came in the form of my work. A connection with soil, water, growth and life.
As a kid, I would secretly wish that grown-up life was just like my childhood – running around luscious green fields, feeding the farm cows, chasing and being chased by hens, goats, cousins, the wind in my hair, the rain on my face, the smell of the earth after a rain, and the sound of non-stop laughter.
It was a sad day, when I realised that my wish was just that – a wish! Its been a personal mission for me to recreate the magic of my childhood in any way possible and contribute to clean air, smiling faces, nourishing food, happier homes all with a sense of awe and gratitude. Thus I found my way to CityGreens – here I help people sow, plant, nurture, care and harvest plants. Through plants a better home and life.
When I was not running around and playing with my cousins and farm animals I also managed to do my B.Tech and MBA.